Old 486 Board for ECU??

Tom Parker parkert at ihug.co.nz
Sun Apr 30 04:11:58 GMT 2000

Chad <chad at dynojet.com> wrote:

>Oops.  Spoke before I thought.  I've spent so much time trying to get
>Windows to do what I want with a hard drive that I forgot it was an option
>to disable it.  We have a couple of computers in our dyno rooms with floppy
>drives that consistently corrupt floppy disks just because of the junk that
>floats around in the air out there.  These same conditions exist under that
>dash of a car, so that's my basis for saying that a floppy drive would
>eventually fail (most likely when you're on a road trip in the middle of
>Alaska with no computer store for 500 miles).

Most computers have a fan which sucks air through the disk drive. In a car you
probably won't have the fan, and the disk drive can certianly be put inside a
plastic bag, which will probably mean it will last longer than the drive in
your desktop pc (barring tempreture concerns).

The power supply will be a bit complicated. You need +12v, -12v, +5v, -5v
plus a few other lines (like power good). It could be easier to run a dc-ac
converter and use the standard mains power supply (lots of filtering in it).

For more information about putting pc's into cars. Do a search for MP3 players
in cars. They are putting hard drives in cars without too many problems. (the
other solution for the mp3 player is a cd rom drive to hold the songs with a
floppy to boot from.

Tom Parker - parkert at ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/