Old 486 Board for ECU??

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sun Apr 30 15:01:45 GMT 2000

> And, now I know... that is a really wrong choice !!! It's not good idea to
> use PC as CU.

Wrong for you, right for me.

Here is what the deal is.  You can use almost anything you want to run
an EFI system, no problem, as long as you have enough CPU cycles to run
your code faster than the max RPMs of the engine.  Al Lipper who may or
may not still be on this list, has a project in the archives where he
used quickbasic (I think) on an XT, to run a TBI style EFI system.

A friggin XT!!!!

So, it can be done.  Interfacing a PC is easy.  A singular ISA slot can
be used to build a multi-channel A/D, or one can be purchased, and one
can certainly use the parallel port to drive devices, or again, use an
ISA slot.  Several friends of mine and myself have put together (read -
BUILT) what we are calling an "EFI board".  Basically its the drivers
from the EFI332 project tailored a bit to connect on an ISA card along
with a slew of high speed flash-style A/D converters.  Shove this into a
PC, load Linux from a flash card, bang, drive away.  The code has been a
pain in the ass, but we did manage to start and somewhat idle a 451cid
twin-turbo mopar stroker successfully.  Though, pulling revs resulted in
the motor choking to death (way to rich) then not wanting to start for a
while.  Code problem, not hardware.

Its doable, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a PC system
board.  There are timers, IRQ's to use, certainly interface slots which
are extremely well documented all over the internet, and an aftermarket
card following that would make the Chevy 350 look like a rare beast.  If
you want a card, its made for the PC.

Not to bust your stones...

True, the motherboards require oddball voltages as compared to a car,
and the boards are large.  No doubt about it.  But, there are advantages
as well.  What makes any EFI system successful (or not) is the code.
Code is where it is :)

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology