Old 486 Board for ECU??

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Sun Apr 30 18:04:12 GMT 2000

At 09:08 AM 4/30/00 -0400, Peter D. Hipson wrote:

>First, this is totally possible. THe par port is more than fast enough, but
>you would need more: some of your imputs are going to be analog, so some
>A/D converters are needed. You can have two par ports on a standard PC, but
>since they are not interrupt driven, if you write your own software you can
>address as many ports as are installed on the PC--but each port must have a
>configurable I/O address (some do, some do not).

In this vein I thought I'd mention a toy in the latest Jameco flyer I
got. (Don't think it's in the catalog, which is why I'm bothering.)

It's a parallel port (LPT) ISA card which claims to support SPP/BPP/ECP
and EPP, 32 byte fifos (for the more advanced modes), IRQ selectable
from 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,15 (lots more than the normal LPT range) and
DMA selectable from 1-3. (LPT ports always had interrupts; modern LPT
ports are bidirectional, some are buffered and/or use DMA as well.)
The kicker is there's a 3-port version of the same card, which is still
quite affordable.

Part number 171651, single port card, $15
Part number 171539, 3 port card, $40
Mention VIP number C67 (the flyer's code number)

It says it uses DB25-F connectors, manual, cable, and CD-ROM w/drivers.

I imagine I have to get a couple, just because.

You might also want a copy of "Parallel Port Complete", Jan Axelson,
ISBN 096508191-5 . I haven't dug into it in depth but from what I
have read it's very very useful.

   Hope this helps,
   Chris C.