Old 486 Board for ECU??

Mike from West Australia erazmus at wantree.com.au
Sun Apr 30 19:04:51 GMT 2000

At 02:45 PM 30/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>> There are projects for running PC's off 12v, you can get
>> 1Farad capacitors
>> for smoothing and its not hard to locate the PC in the
>> boot.
>> Its a pity though the average 486 m/b package is so large.
>> It should be possible to just put a 486/cache ram/rom onto
>> a small board
>> and use your own O/S !
>

>You happen to have a link, or any other info where I can look?.
>Seems like one I have wants two voltages, ie 20/10

If you are looking for small 486 boards, I think these have been
posted - some industrial instrument firms also have them but they
are a bit pricey. As for the PC voltages from 12v these are in
monthly mags but I think some have web links now, try:-

Electronics Australia
Silicon Chip
Elektur

In your favourite search engine, sorry I've not had reason to
web search those yet. I think the names are pretty generic from
the mag descrip ie. www.siliconchip.com.au or something like that.

What sort of current do you need for the 20v, once you have the
20v then if the current needs are not high for the 10v, then just
run a 7809 reg with a base diode or 2 to lift its rail up a tad...

I think you'll find lots of power supply stuff on Maxim's site
for simple switchmode, try www.maxim-ic.com they have great app
notes and might give free samples too :)

Rgds

Mike Massen

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia)
Remote Area Power System   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

Editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"