WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Aug 2 13:41:12 GMT 2000

It's about money.
The WB O2s are expensive, the EPA for a long time, didn't test WOT
emissions, so they just used a cheap sensor to track 14.7 AFRs and that kept
the EPA, and the catalytic converter happy.  KISS, or KIC (Keep it Cheap).
Some manufacturers as of "late" have used WBs.
Rich at WOT saves warranty costs (rich = spark plugs, lean = pistons rings
bearings).
Grumpy

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the Sensor works at all ranges it is
just that at WOT you are mostly running rich and want to be running rich so
the computer is told to ignore the O2 values while at WOT.
If I have misunderstood this point please someone correct me.
Christian