Closed loop/open loop @ WOT

ext-peter.betts at nokia.com ext-peter.betts at nokia.com
Wed Aug 2 21:39:35 GMT 2000

But I guess I would ask........

Whether the ECU uses the O2 lambda signal or not in open loop WOT it doesn't
stop a monitoring device displaying it's output, does it?

Does it still make sense open loop to read the sensor so a human can
determine if something has gone horribly wrong?

The ECU just uses a fixed (learnt or default) fuel setting (injector duty
cycle, probably near max) for WOT but won't the O2 sensor still indicate, if
in a modified car, the setting the ECU is using is running the car lean and
hence one needs to modify something else like injector size to compensate.

(Oh.. does the ECU learn a setting or do they normally just use a fixed
setting in open loop for injector duty cycle)

Of course in a ECU which is programmable one could change this setting but
some Toyota ECUs (Supra) don't allow reprogramming.

Pete