WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Wed Aug 2 23:23:51 GMT 2000

>I am gonna put my flame suit on for a sec here.  Don't take that as me
>being a "guru" though.
>
>I was always taught that there is a small useable area on the curve of a
>standard EGO (besides the steep "switch") and it is rich of stoich.
>Mostly because there is still some slope on the rich side (but not much,
>and it looks like you'd have big problems with any offset errors when 80
>millivolts covers lambda .99 to lambda .80). That being said, I do not
>have practical experience with exploring that area of a standard
>EGO/HEGO.  I also don't think this is done in practice, at least in production.

There is a slope to the curve on the rich side of stoich--trouble is, said
slope is _VERY_ sensitive to back-pressure, sensor temp, and possibly some
other factors. It may tell you something, but there is not much way to
figure out WHAT it is telling you, in any sort of a precision, repeatable
manner, other than RICH!!!

Greg