WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Tom Meagher tmeagher at netropolis.net
Thu Aug 3 04:55:26 GMT 2000

I found the following site helpful in visualizing the behavior of the EGO
sensor.

http://www.cnnw.net/~fourty/uses.html

Oscillation duty cycle, averaged with a low pass filter to produce a DC
voltage is evidently the operative parameter.  Perhaps you could sample the
signal with the PIC and do FFT's on it to produce additional information to
better characterize AFR.

Does anyone know the physics behind the oscillating output?  Is the
frequency related to engine speed, etc?  Instantaneous pulses of gases
traveling through the exhaust pipe?  Something more subtle I suspect...

Thanks,
Tom Meagher