Exhaust recycling and O2 sensor for submarine use

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Aug 3 12:11:21 GMT 2000

> I am trying to build a submarine

Please save that for the Navy.
If you talking about just a underwater scooter, and wearing tanks etc., like
in th e human powered competions that's another matter, but the "PV" is at a
glance way tooo heavy.  For a "beginner", you'd want one that when their is
a problem, that floats, not sinks

 and although I wish to use DC
> motors for propulsion I am also looking at a small 4 stroke engine.  Does
> anyone have pointers to info on exhaust recycling or on minimizing air
use.

NASA, has some high altitude, closed exhuast system aircraft.   They add
just enough fuel and O2 to maintain the combustion prossess.

> I am also interested in any air quality monitoring ideas that you might
> have.  Sub volume is small at about 10 cubic meters, would an automotive
O2
> sensor have a fast response time?

Some of the NHRA, Top Fuel Cars, and Funnies, monitor the O2 content for
doing their fuel calcs., you might investigate something like that, but I'd
never personally test anything then a medical use devise for anything close
to supporting my LIFE.
Cars, you pull to the side of the road when in failure mode
Airplanes (home builts), can to some degree glide
Subs just instantly drown you, something not to be taken lightly
Grumpy

http://members.xoom.com/andrewmuck/sub/goSub.htm