WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Aug 3 12:58:45 GMT 2000

The reasons why the oem ecu's oscillate across stoich:

It allows use of a very cheap (in terms of ecu capability) bang/bang
control strategy.

It also allows a very cheap way of checking sensor performance (I believe
this is an EPA requirement), by counting the frequency of crossings.

By using such a crude control strategy, it also plays into the fact that a
three way CAT PERFORMS BEST if the gas coming through it alternates between
a bit rich and a bit lean.

Nothing at all to do with sensor performance.

Greg