Exhaust recycling and O2 sensor for submarine use

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Aug 3 13:28:14 GMT 2000

 you are aware that a pressure vessel rated at +250 PSI will do less then
50 feet before it crushes? When the pressure is on the inside the shell is loaded in tension( steel is very strong in tension), when the pressure is outside the strain is not in tension, and the failure mode becomes buckling. Get the "pressure vessel handbook" (ASME publication) and read about pressure vessels under external pressure.

 BTW I am looking at the same thing but found a 3000Psi shell to start with ( ~96" long and 48"dia)

 DO NOT try to recycle engine exhaust!! Carbon monoxide is a killer, have a snorkel and use the engine to compress air, and charge batteries ( avoid lead acid hydrogen gas its not nice either)

 Have you looked at using masks with overboard discharge? Thats the route I'm heading towards