Exhaust recycling and O2 sensor for submarine use

Joe Curran espace at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 3 14:42:09 GMT 2000

>        I am trying to build a submarine and although I wish to use DC
> motors for propulsion I am also looking at a small 4 stroke engine.  Does
> anyone have pointers to info on exhaust recycling or on minimizing air use.

> I am also interested in any air quality monitoring ideas that you might
> have.  Sub volume is small at about 10 cubic meters, would an automotive O2
> sensor have a fast response time?

> Pics of pressure vessel at http://members.xoom.com/andrewmuck/sub/goSub.htm

Oh my God. I'm worried that if I give you any useful advice, I might
get sued when you drown (or suffocate on the recycled exhaust).

One point I will make is that launch and recovery is the most important,
commonly overlooked issue. With a volume of 10 cubic meters, you will
have a vehicle with a dry weight of 20,000 lbs, assuming you have
external balast tanks. Less if the balast is internal, but that defeats
the purpose of using this far less than ideal pressure vessel.

My advice: Use that $500- to get a SCUBA license, and build a wet (flooded)
submarine. It can be run on batteries, or more likely compressed air.
There's a human powered submarine sitting in the basement of the building
I'm in right now.

Please let yourself get talked out of this project.

-Joe Curran
espace at mit.edu

For info on submarines that won't get you killed:
http://auvserv.mit.edu/

Spec's of what's in the basement:
http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/3rdISR/mit3.html