WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Steve Schwartz ses at home.com
Thu Aug 3 15:24:53 GMT 2000

Sorry, Greg, but I must disagree.

The 'bang-bang' control you refer to would be fuel_on - fuel_off.  The fact
that the EGO can only accurately report RICH or LEAN, has no bearing on the
control algorithm.  The ECU maintains an injector DUTY CYCLE, which is
constantly adjusted, in small increments, up and down, to keep the EGO
crossing the stoich point.  PROPORTIONAL control, possibly with an INTEGRAL
term, under some conditions.  That is the ONLY way it can know that the
AVERAGE mixture is NEAR stoich.  The control algorithm has nested loops, if
you will.  I suppose you COULD look at TPS response as a DERIVATIVE term,
but we digress...

New and interesting info:

> three way CAT PERFORMS BEST if the gas coming through it
> alternates between
> a bit rich and a bit lean.

I didn't know this!  But it has a ring of truth.

Some of this is splitting hairs, and watching dozens of angels dancing on
the head of a pin...

Best,
Steve