WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

ext-peter.betts at nokia.com ext-peter.betts at nokia.com
Thu Aug 3 15:37:50 GMT 2000

> What are we trying to do?

What *I* am trying to do is have a tuning aid in the car to tell me when I'm
running too rich or lean under WOT. I don't care what the ECU is doing with
it. Ideally I was hoping for a proportional output, you know, slightly rich,
rich and so rich the fuels coming out of the exhaust in flames and vice
versa for lean conditions.

I can see that under closed loop operation the ECU control algorithm is
going RICH/LEAN/RICH/LEAN etc etc and I understand from the archives the
reason why is mainly to keep to aounnd Stoch' and hence make efficient
economy and reasonable power output and still get the catalytic converters
to work efficiently.

The situation I'm in is I have increased the boost on my turboed car and I
want a method of indication to tell me when I've pushed the limit too far,
as far as I can see this doesn't affect the closed loop operation as it's
only under boost that I concerned about (and again I'm assuming this will
always be open loop control).

I had though an AFR meter on the O2 sensor would do this (if you believe all
the advertising)

So what can I do?

If this needs a new thread then please change the suject title.

Pete