Plugs -n heads (was WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Aug 9 22:55:24 GMT 2000

> Champions seem to corrode the fastest and most.

Well, since someone mentioned it, yep Champs were really evil, and I thing
that's where alot of the hot change stuff started.  They have changed the
plating at least 2x that I've heard of.  Also, I've just about quit using
them other then for lawnmowers.  That coating is / was good for coloring on
the side electrode for range reading.
  I also, think at one time Toyo, and someone else specifically said never
to use Champs
Grumpy

A/C, Bosch, NGK seem
> to be much better.  Ahh've been on the recieving end of a couple of
> these jobs that went bad.  New tech in flat rate shop was first to
> damage threads, kid out of vo-tech was second.  Not much left to hold
> a plug when these guys got done.  Lucky, I've never had trouble....
> Shannen
>
> Bruce Plecan wrote:
> >
> > >This brings up a good question: Is it safe to pull the plugs on
> > > an aluminum head while its hot?
> >
> > Been doing that since the 60s
> >
> >  I've always been taught that its
> > > trouble to do this, always wait until the engine cools before changing
> > > the spark plugs.
> >
> > Just torque accordingly.
> > Use just a touch of antisieze, when installing a new plug.
> > The problem originally was the plugs.  Some of the early coatings """"
> > seemed""" very prone to gaulling.
> > Hot, snug, cold a little snugger.
> > Tech terms
> >
> > > BobR.

> > Wellll, I've seen some that I'd agrue with,
> > Some years ago Circle Track had a series of articles about reading spark
> > plugs, that was the best on only pics that I would take as absolute
truth
> > Grumpy
> >
> > reading for tuning gets into
immediately--pull