gm TBI and VWs

Jack Doe x2943yz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 04:50:54 GMT 2000

First of all, I am confused about some basic engine
control operations and components so please don't be
suprised.  I am very interested in TBI by GM.  I have
seen a kit for air cooled VWs made by TurboCity.  I
was wondering if anybody has done an aircooled VW
conversion before.  (the archives are in such
shambles, so vast, and so full of garbage, I decided
to ask the list directly)  Would the 747 ECU work for
such a conversion?  (It seems to be the least complex
and most tweaked ECU)  Could the 747 be tweaked enough
to fit my vehicle or would it work in its stock
configuration?  I have tunercat software and a number
of other shareware softwares and the 747 lookes
relatively simple.  I doubt that the throtle body from
a 747 powered vehicle would be ideal for my mild
1600cc powerplant.  I assume that there are numerouse
throtle bodies produced by GM with similar if not
identical configuration and smaller throtle
bores/injectors.  A throtle body from a smaller gm
engine would probably be very similar and adaptable to
a 747 I assume.  I was also wondering what "special"
ignition the turbocity system uses.  Could I use any
electronic points replacement for my bosch 009 or
would it require something more drastic, such as
junkyard GM distributor transplant?  (there are many
points elimination kits such as petronix, jacobs
bugpack, and compufire) The distributor would probably
have no vacum or mechanical advance to function
correctly because of the computer rpm vs. MAP vs. SPK.
advance lookup table would take care of that I assume.
Two more simple questions:  is the most dominant
sensor used to calculate injector pulse width in GM
TBI the MAP sensor? (as aposed to an airflow sensor?)
Could someone assemble a simple hierarchy of sensor
importance/authority.  After hours of pouring over
books and magazines, I still do not understand the
meaning of the terms open loop and closed loop. (the
terminology seams to be a bit contradictory if I
understand it correctly)