WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

garwillis garwillis at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 16 04:48:52 GMT 2000

> At 11:59 PM 8/2/00 -0500, Tom Meagher wrote:
>
> >Oscillation duty cycle, averaged with a low pass filter to produce a DC
> >voltage is evidently the operative parameter.  Perhaps you could sample
the
> >signal with the PIC and do FFT's on it to produce additional information
> >better characterize AFR.
> >Does anyone know the physics behind the oscillating output?
> There's no physics of it, that's the ECU adjusting AFR to try and
> maintain stoich, aka closed loop operation. Look at the timebase
> on the scope traces. The sensors can show some interesting things
> at much higher bandwidths, but those traces are not showing any
> of them.
>
> Really this has all been beat to death in the archives. People
> are almost lucky Gar is away for the moment. I can easily see
> him dispensing a brace of new bodily orifices when he returns.
> (And if you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't been reading
> the archives enough.)
>
>    Chris C.

Hey Chris, knock that off; you're giving away my proctological secrets. :)

Gee, if I thot people were gonna praise me while I wuz gone, I'da stayed
away longer. Heh.

I feel for the newcomers who are having to run the gauntlet amongst such a
swarthy old band of weather-beaten wayfarers as the denizens of these
diy_efi.org groups. Whew! No MERCY! No QUARTER! Send them to the archives to
grow a few calouses on their mousing digits! Oh well, one strong
consolation; an answer repeated is almost always abbreviated. An answer
OFT-repeated therefore often suffers from *severe* anemia. So consignment to
the archival dungeons at least is the "true path" to EFI understanding; gawd
forbid the earnest neophyte should be given watered-down portions, and
embarrass himself (ney, all of us!) at some cocktail party. Better to repair
to the archives for some quality time, and some better quality perspective.
Hey, it doesn't take THAT long; I went thru the ENTIRE history in the
diy-wayback machine (aka archives) just before I moved, to confirm/deny if I
had really lived thru what I thot I'd experienced on these groups. Took me a
whole day n'arf to do it. Key is to keep a notepad beside you, and make
notes of "where/when" certain topics were first broached.

IOW, when someone says "check out the archives", that usually means "there's
good stuff in them archives you really need to go gather". A few major
downloads and a good text editor with robust text searching capabilities,
and you're spelunking with the pros.

I mentioned this to Doc Pelican just before I launched, that this last pass
of mine thru the archives really gave me a sense of how much MAJOR progress
yous guys had made in the overall "ecm understanding" department. There
really HAS been alot of development; it's just maybe hard to see it when
you're in the midst of the flow of it. A pass thru the archives is good for
the soul, even for the old-timer, is what I'm saying.

That should make the newcomers feel better; same medicine prescribed for
all. Rather than blather, make haste to the archives.

Garfossil