Open Loop O2

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Mon Aug 21 19:44:10 GMT 2000

Thought the list members might be interested in some open loop O2 readings
that I did on the weekend on my '92 Toyota Corolla 1.6L manual transmission
(note the sensor is located in the exhaust manifold about 8 inches from the
valve, ie no integrated heater):

Highway speed (100kmph) 5th gear     0.86 - 0.87 V
Feeder street (70 kmph) 4th gear           0.86 - 0.87 V
Idle (after warm-up)                                      0.90 V
WOT accelerating thru gears                 ~1.00 V

By comparison, in closed loop:

Idle, feeder and highway                      ~ 0.54- 0.55 V
WOT acelerating thru gears                     0.92 - 0.96

I assume that under open loop the ECU falls back to it's pre-programmed map
based on input from the remaining sensors. I imagine that a safety margin
of extra richness must be included in the open loop map.

Neil