Partial success

dzorde at erggroup.com dzorde at erggroup.com
Tue Aug 22 00:10:19 GMT 2000

Hooray, I've finally got my Fiat 850 sport running on fuel injection,
however I'm now in need of some suggestions for the next part.  I have a
Toyota MR2 s/c connected in a blow through configuration with the throttle
body (it should be geared for 120kPa full boost, 17psi), my problem as it
stands:

At idle the ecu reads a vacuum (-21kPa to be exact) while the s/c side is
seeing 90kPa (throttle blade shut).  At higher revs (no load) the boost
will build up even more (over 250kPa) as the throttle is only just opening.
Obviously if I keep going like this the s/c is likely to blow a seal
somewhere.
Now here's my question, do I just fit a blow off valve and let it bleed of
any excess boost above say 140kPa ?
And what sort of blow off valve would I use, the ones I have seen on turbo
cars are very small and the s/c has like a 62mm outlet, so that is a lot of
air to remove ?
I have looked at a few available blow off valves (greddy, hks, etc), but
they are all specced as turbo applications, isn't there anything for s/c
applications ?

I'd appreciate any light people can shed on this unknown area I've ventured
into.

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com