Partial success

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Tue Aug 22 19:02:31 GMT 2000

At 08:57 PM 8/21/00 -0400, Seth wrote:

>I was under the impresion that the MR2 s/c had bypass loop, but I am
>most likely wrong.

The MR2 setup is draw through, and it has a funky bypass valve
which opens due to manifold vaccum (for cruising) and due to high
manifold pressure (boost limit). The valve's plunger is pushed
open in reverse by pressure, to limit boost, and it opens under
vac via a typical diaphraghm actuator.  This bypass is probably
not ideal in this case since it's designed to directly bolt to
the OE SC inlet, and is rather small.

The blower has an integral clutch, which makes changing pulley
sizes a bit more work than it would be otherwise, esp. if you
want to go smaller.

If you're gonna stick with blow thru, definitely get a big ole
bypass valve in there. Don't worry if it's listed for turbo apps,
the Magnuson or ATR ones would be my first guess.

At 03:53 AM 8/22/00 +0200, Jorgen_Karlsson wrote:

>If you use the ATR valve in a standard turbo setup(top sense line after TB
>and bottom sense line before TB) you can control maximum differential
>pressure. Or you can use it with a atmosphere reference for the top chamber
>to set a maximum boost level before the TB. I can think of a lot of other
>configurations with bleedervalves and solenoids that can solve the problem.

I'd try to set it up like the man says. The key in my mind is
realizing that the more pressure drop there is across the throttle
(above the inevitable small drop at WOT), the more you want the
bypass to open.

   Chris C.