Wierd application, hypothetical question.

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Wed Dec 6 18:01:04 GMT 2000

> From: justin ivan [mailto:vlkslvr at hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Wierd application, hypothetical question.
>

> I assume that maybe by voice coil actuators you mean as in
> speakers? Either
> way, .5 to 1" of stroke for an electormechanical solenoid
> really is asking
> for too much if you need any considerable force. I could dig
> out some of the
> charts relating to stroke vs force that I have hiding but I
> don't see it
> happening.
> if it were .25 to .33 or so, you might be able to get away with it.

That's the beauty of a voice-coil actuator - you get a nearly-flat force vs.
displacement curve, while a solenoid will yield some sort of exponential
roll-off as the armature travels from the pole piece (the shape of the curve
depending on a lot of factors, of course).

With a solenoid, it's often necessary to use some mechanical advantage in
order to keep the armature in the higher-force portion of the travel.  You
start getting non-linearities with increasing mechanical complexity (due to
lash and so on), so this turns into a difficult motion-control problem.

A voice coil may be a bit easier than a solenoid to work with, but something
like a stepper motor will give a far-greater power density, and I think it'd
be more appropriate for this application.  At least that's where I'd
start...

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante