Wierd application, hypothetical question.

justin ivan vlkslvr at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:36:35 GMT 2000

Eric,
Everything that you stated about solenoids is indeed accurate, now I don't
know that much about voice coil actuators at all BUT you are 100% correct a
stepper motor really is the way to go in this case. Do we have an idea of
response time required? Solenoid's have a very rapid response time (on the
order of 15 microseconds or less in most cases). Stepper motor is probably a
bit slower then this but should fit this app OK
Stepper motor is definately they way to go with this application, there are
already plenty of circuits designed to control these suckers you just need
to do a search. One of the things to look is CNC retrofits for milling
machines.
Justin