Way to measure HP?

Daniel Houlton houlster at inficad.com
Sun Dec 10 16:19:50 GMT 2000

Rob O wrote:
> There is a relatively inexpensive program (I think it's called road
> dyno) that does just this and I can see it being a useful tool in the
> same way a G-tech Pro is. You can't really expect exact accuracy from it
> but if it is repeatable and consistent then you have a method of
> comparison without spending the $$$ for time on a chassis dyno (which is
> not exactly the most accurate thing anyway).

Hi Rob,
Thanks.  I think you're referring to Home Dyno?  I do have that
actually, and I did find it to be very accurate compared to a
baseline run I did on a chassis dyno.  It was still kind of a
pain to use though as I'd have to clean up noise in each
recording to get a reading.

It got worse with an MSD ignition with it's 3 pulses at lower
rpm.  I can still make it work, but it takes a while.

> I guess I kinda wandered away from your original goal of instantaneous
> HP readings but while that would be something "neat" to show off, has
> limited usefulness for someone like me who's more concerned with getting
> from point A to point B the quickest
>
> Rob_O

What I'm looking for is an accurate hp and torque curve.  I
was thinking the MAF reading might give this more directly
through measurement than the Home Dyno software does through
calculation.  It doesn't appear to be that way though as several
people have pointed out.  Too many variables effect the V.E. for
it to be very accurate.

thanks
--Dan
houlster at inficad.com