Way to measure HP?

Daniel Houlton houlster at inficad.com
Sun Dec 10 16:10:55 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> .75 grams/sec.= 1 SAE HP when tuned *Precisely*
>  calulated HP has never run a race.
>
> Again, all about the state of tune.
> If you were using a WB and knew that you were in the nieghbor hood of
> 12ish:1 then would be a fair guess, but why bother?.
> Like I said calculated HP is an Ego issue.
> Good for bench racing, and saying my dog is bigger then your dog.  that's
> about all.
> Bruce

Uhh, thanks for the info.  I think.  Did I strike a nerve
there with this question?  I'm not planning on winning races,
nor do I wan't to go around saying how big my dog is.  I just
want to know the results of changes I've made emperically (sp?)
rather than seat-o-the-pants kinda stuff.  Dyno time is far
too expensive.

I've used Home Dyno in the past and it is (or was for me
anyway) very accurate.  Within 1 or 2% of the baseline chassis
dyno run I did to check it.

However, getting a reading with it isn't all that painless.
I always had to clean up the first few seconds of the run by
taking out the noise between the ignition pulses to get a
reading.

I also added an MSD boost retarding ignition and that pretty
much ended the use of Home Dyno.  The 3 pulses at low rpm
just realy screwed it up and I'd have to edit for an hour to
take the extra pulses out to get a reading.

Sounds like I'd be better off sticking with it though and
try getting better filtering instead.  I do want numbers as
accurate as I can get.  It sounds like MAF readings won't be
depending on state of tune, eh?

thanks

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com