Data logging

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Mon Dec 11 11:56:33 GMT 2000

Hi!

I would say that datalogging is well within the scope of this list, I have
made an outline for a datalogger. I really need to finish it soon but I
don't have the time. I can just as well point you in my direction, a common
think on this list is to make thing more complicated then they need to be.
Many of the people on the list has worked with electronics for a long time,
I haven't. I still like to keep everything simple and accessible.

The main feature of the system I was building was to log exhaust gas
temperature for up to eight cylinders, my application only has five
cylinders but since my car is turbocharged the temperatures before and after
the intercooler is also very interesting.

To have a reference I also whant to log boost pressure and rpm.

With five exhaust gas temperatures, and two intake temperatures and the
boost pressure I have used up all my ADC inputs on the mcu that I have
choosen. RPM, lat and log G forces can be logged without using a adc. For
example the adxl202 uses an pwm output and the recommendation is to measure
the pulsewidth, not the analog output.

Since you want to log the brake pressure I assume that you don't dragrace
the car, by that I also assume that you don't run a V8. Is that correct?

I also have outlines for adding eight more adc channels, the things that
come to mind is brake pressure, fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, oil
temp and soo on.

Check the simm100 on www.dontronics.com it is made by a swedish company and
can be delivered fully assembled and tested for around $35 It will be the
base of my system. I will develop the software with Bascom AVR, the demo,
also available from dontronics, is not very cripled, we will probably not
notice the limit on this project. No special programmer is needed for this
board, this also cuts the cost, a simple programming cable can be made in a
few minuts. With _very_ little programming and cabling this computer can
communicate with a pc or a printer. It can also drive a LCD display with
minimal effort. We also need some kind of storage media, we have a few
options there, most are pretty simple to work with.

Let me know when you have checked the Simm100 and bascom AVR, please let me
know more about your needs.

Jörgen Karlsson