MAF transfer curves

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Sat Dec 30 05:32:40 GMT 2000

I was wondering a bit about MAF transfer curves.

I seem to remember people mentioning that some MAFs (GM perhaps)
had a voltage output that was linear with respect to airflow.

In the archives I found that someone else, using a Bosch MAF,
found that airflow varied as the square of voltage. (Or, voltage
output varied as the square root of airflow.)

Looking at the curve for a random Pro-flow MAF
<http://www.pro-flow.com/24flow.htm>
it appears that airflow varies as the cube of the voltage. (If you
plot V vs the cube root of airflow, you get a straight line.) As
near as I can tell these units are intended for Ford applications.

I wonder what other transfer curves are out there? Are there any
logarithmic MAFs?

   Chris C.