Camless engine

Mike Comai comai at expert.cc.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 2 16:04:37 GMT 2000

This subject caught my eye and I looked into the toyota and rover VVT
(variable valve timing I think) systems.  There are basically two types of
systems in production/semiproduction right now.  I've seens systems with
multiple lift lobes with hydraulic "shifters" to select the lobe they
want (this was a wierd setup and I didn't understand the theory but the
principle seemed like a good one).  Toyota's system and the most common is
a cam gear on a kind of spedometer gear (for lack of a better
description).  There is a mechanism that adjust the location of one of the
gears and thus advances or subtracts from the inital position.  Thus with
a seperate intake/exhaust cam you can overlap the openings for
optimization ... this is great except all you can do is adjust the timing
... I'll try and find the webpage I was on and send it to the list.

Mike Comai