Electric Fuel Pumps

Carl Summers InTech at writeme.com
Thu Feb 10 22:10:42 GMT 2000

Hi Greg,
     Unless you plan on running some sort of large accumulator the
mechanical/gear driven pump will cause many tuning problems on shift as
engine rpm goes down and so does pump....fought that on that 1600hp boat
engine with the turbo 400.. the fuel pressure would drop to below 20 psi on
upshift and lean backfire....crazy thing was (not so crazy though, less
torque meant more drastic rpm changes on upshift)it was worse the easier you
were on the throttle so didn't notice it as bad until I was going back over
the driveability stuff after verifying full throttle....thank god for
datalogging....would have never found it...ended up with an elctric fuel
pump set up to run while in 1st and 2nd gear and shut off in third...got
that straightened out and no probs other than the normal retune from the
engine dyno to the real world...just some insight...ttyl
-Carl Summers