Nitrous controller

Scott Croughwell scott at outwest.net
Fri Feb 11 05:56:00 GMT 2000

> Does any one have experiance or knowlege of how I could adapt an existing
> computer to regulate an injector that flows nitros to maintain a constant
> 60 degree temp in the plenum on a turbo car?

I think you'd be best off going with the "usual" nitrous setup.  Regulating
nitrous flow according to temperature isn't so easy because the nitrous
comes from a bottle that may have up to 1,500 psi.  The only way to regulate
nitrous flow with conventional nitrous solenoids is to give them a duty
cycle, and the smallest one takes about 12 amps of current to open!  I'm
sure another way can be engineered, but not for a practical home-brew
application, cost-wise.

Personally, if I were using nitrous as a sole method of intercooling,
(depending on setup; this is just an example) I'd simply go with a
direct-port configuration.  My last turbo 4 cylinder was a '95 Civic EX...
the motor was built simply with aftermarket forged conrods and pistons, with
a non-intercooled turbo system running 1 bar of boost.  The nitrous was
activated by two switches in series; a full-throttle switch and a 10 psi
boost switch (I got that from NOS).  The nitrous system was jetted for 80
hp.

There are various takeoffs on that... you can shut off the nitrous once you
hit a certain boost level or whatever.  But for intercooling, I imagine
you'll want to do what I did and just leave the nitrous on.

BTW, that nitrous system was also a half-assed way of getting more fuel into
the motor over 10 psi... I jetted it extra-rich.  But hey, she ran 12.01's
even with that sprinkler-system method of fueling!!

Scott