MC3334 based ignition

Joeo joelori at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 04:09:16 GMT 2000

Mihai Alexandru wrote:

> diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> MC3334 based ignition
>
>   Hello,
>
> I intend to build an ignition based on the MC3334
> chip.
> I have searched the efi archives and found some nice
> info about this, but I still have some uncleared
> points that I hope someone might answer:
>
> 1. Did anyone use a power MOSFET instead of the
> MJ10012 ? And if so, which were the changes in the
> schematic from Motorola? I intend to use an IRFP450.
> 2. How should I make the reluctor pickup?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Mihai

Hi,
	I tried to use that chip as well.  I used the MJ10016
(if memory serves) Darlington.  I had some problems with
charge time and heat sinking.  Those trans. can get VERY hot -
make sure you use good heat sinks.  I ended up not using
the MC3334P and just used the ignitors from an RX-7.
I'm still having some problems with my ignition (building
a distributorless ignition for my 1991 MR2 Turbo).  What
is your project about?
Thanks.
					joeo