Mass airflow sensors.

Andrew Brownsword asword at telus.net
Sun Feb 20 03:08:54 GMT 2000

> Don't run a GM MAF dowstream of the turbo.   Matter of fact I wouldn't run
> anything downstream of except possibly a throttle body.  Lose a seal and
> loose a MAF, no thanks.  The hot wires and films don't clean as cherry as
> you might think.  While now terribly illegal the GM early method was blowing
> the MAFs out with Freon.  The is I was told, that ther is a chemical
> reaction to oil and the films.  They used a burn off system in the early GMs
> when they were exposed just to atmoshpere..
> (I used films to mean both types).

Hmmm... that does indeed sound unpleasant.  I agree about the possibility of
a vacuum leak ruining one's day.

> Just my 2 cents worth.  Also, MAPs are about $100 cheaper then a MAF  ($40
> vs 140, typ min)

Hmmm... just using a straight MAP sensor is not something I've seriously
considered.  It would require an pressure vs. RPM map in the ROM -- and I
don't think I have the space for it.  Tuning would also be a pain.

> Thinking that your (or anyone) is so much better then the .01 is a mind trap
> (notta flame, but I did play this game, and typically what feels faster is
> slower too, the major co. capitalize to the max on fooling ones senses,
> doubt me?, drive a late S/C Gran Prix, or STS).

Heh, you mis-read my message... I claimed only to be more sensitive than the
0.1 sec that you claimed for the average Joe.  I've done this kind of
testing with a different kind of device, and I'm sensitive down to about
0.05 sec.  I have a hard time believing that anyone can be sensitive down to
0.01 sec, but then I can't believe how those guys can drive at those speeds!

Cheers,
  Andrew