Nissan ECM Was: Motec ??s

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Mon Feb 21 00:32:38 GMT 2000

> Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:17:57 -0500
> From: "nacelp" <nacelp at bright.net>
> Subject: Motec ??s
>
> Any one here worked with a MOTEC?.
>
> A friend bought a ex-race car (Nissan 300 ZX) with a MOTEC, but didn't get
> any cables, software.

I would try and contact Motec. I would think that they would be fairly helpful
in providing the gear your friend needs

> Is this work pursuing, or just switch over to a GM ECM?.
> Is there anyone around here that has used both, and knows the strong points
> of both?.

Gotta remember that a Motec is aftermarket and is designed to be tuned in
the car over a serial port or something. The GM is for the mass market.
Also there is the question of sensors too. Most Nissans use a optical
pickup (normal referred to as a crank angle sensor eventhoug it drives
off the cam shaft usually.

> Any one on the list cracked a Nissan ECM?.

Cracked yes - as in opened, pulled PROM, dissassembled code, found some tables
made code so it could be easily reassembled, added a serial port to spit out ALDL
style info - And that's about where I am at the moment. I think my serial port might
be offending other parts of the ECM though.

This is on an RB30ET engine. a 300ZX would have either a VG30DE, VG30DET or a
VG30DETT. (NA, single turbo and twin turbo 3.0 litre V6s)

> Thanks for any help
> Grumpy

Christian Hack
DESIGN ENGINEER