Large P&H Port Injectors

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Tue Feb 1 00:27:36 GMT 2000

Hi Clay,

At the time of your original post none of us knew exactly what your expected
BBC power level was or even what type of fuel you intended to run,  which is
why I tried to outline to you what your proposed 105's would give you with
"gasoline" and then asked you at the same time to expand upon your
assumptions if they seemed to differ.

In light of your subsequent posts, I agree that your application would be
best suited by a roughly 80 #/Hr port injector (assuming a maximum 80%
injector duty cycle and 0.6bsfc).   You had mentioned the 160's in your
original post which is why I had commented on them.  160's can be made to
work quite well on very large displacement/power BBC's (several examples of
which roam the tracks & streets around the southwest end of this province).
But again, in light of your recent posts,  I feel that the 160's are not for
you!

I am in the process of trying to gather together my old flowbench notes for
you, as related to a series of four different larg'ish port injectors
ranging from 75-160 #/Hr @ 3.0 bar, accompanied by photo images of the
injectors in action.  My photo scanner friend was tied-up today, so I'll try
again tomorrow.  As soon as I get everything ready I'll post a message to
DIY and place a 'ZIP file in the incoming directory.  The photos are from a
hand held camera (can't afford stroboscopic equipment) but they do
effectively give you an idea as to the various plume patterns and their
applicability to your injector targeting & distribution expectations.

When considering the Bosch vs Rochester P&H's, my choice is still the Bosch
injector, for many of the reasons stated earlier.  There are two other
important factors which I did not state at that time.  1) The Rochester's
are not tolerant of substantially increased fuel pressure.  On a hot day,
with a 4/1 amp driver, do not expect to operate a Rochester at much over
about 55 psig without fear that it will fail to open against the prevailing
internal hydraulic pressure.  Whereas,  I have been able to operate some of
the Bosch injectors as high as 140psig, which allows a huge window of tuning
opportunity down the road without having to fork over considerable $$$ for
new injectors.    2) At low base pulse widths, with a 4/1 amp driver,  the
Rochester's exhibit more irregularity and nonlinearity IMHO.

As for staged injection, if your particular ECU/software package easily
accommodates this feature, then by all means make use of it!  On the other
hand, if your package does not, then you will have to rely upon your own
means to build custom electronics and fudge the software tables.  This can
either represent an interesting challenge, or a PITA, depending upon your
background and outlook.

Yes, some of the Bosch Motorsport injectors are available in stainless steel
form (either internally or externally or both) for use with alcohol based
and other nasty fuels.  However, even though your application is for marine
use sounds like you as using "gas" which should be compatible with normal
non-SS injectors.  Hopefully you don't have that much water in your fuel :)

More info to come on the specific injectors.  As soon as it congeals I will
advise.....

Walt.