99 Dakota ECM

dennis spoolboy at autospeed.com
Fri Jan 7 02:30:57 GMT 2000

Hello.

I have a '99 Dodge Dakota. I was wondering what is involved in getting myself setup to modify the fuel/ignition maps in the ecm. I am sort-of dumb about this part of automotive tuning but experienced with most others. Feel free to talk down to me technically, I would prefer that to technical terms I have never heard of. Automotive wise I know my stuff, but with processors and electronic hardware I don't know much.
I want to figure out a way to do this. I know it can be done, as is evidenced by the Hypertech Power Programmer that they make for my truck. I want something adjustable or I would just buy one of these.
I will be making some drastic changes in volumetric efficiency.
Would this require an emulator?

Hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.

dennis