injector questions - sleepless in Seattle

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Thu Jan 13 04:25:53 GMT 2000

ok, got some injector questions.

I have an 1800 cc, (1798) motor, (77 mgb) 90 hp, saimsed intake ports, I
think the stromberg cd was
something like 200 cfm but I might be wrong.

I am going to put 2 injectors in it. and an air mass sensor.

the donor efi car used 4 bosch injectors for 2300 cc
according to the data I could find on the web,
the motor (b230f), used a 0 280 150 762 bosch injector. these had fuel
rails,
and are listed as 214 cc per minute, or 21 lbs per hour.
and a chart at www.wolfems.com.au/injector_flow_rates.htm tells me that
these injectors were
good for 42.8 hp each.

 I can't remember the actual rail pressure in their natural environment, (86
240dl). standard bosch jet-jh

so if I scale it up a bit , and for argument's sake use the volume of the
injectors that I have.
(they were all batch fired btw).

I would then need to get 2 injectors that were low impedance, to make them
look like bosch injectors to the ecm, and they would have to have a flow
rate of 428 cc per minute or 42 lbs per hour.

question 1 : does this math sound correct ? I wonder about this because they
were batch fired. this means that they were fired when there was no benefit
to do so, the expended fuel must of gone somewhere. I can't work out the
math in my head to take into account the batch-fired effect.

ok well, I am going to use the msd epoxy injector mounts, I think that these
are made for GM mounting specs. or am I misreading their fuel injection
catalog incorrectly ? it seems that you can use their injectors to replace
gm injectors, if that's the case I'm assuming a gm injector will fit in
their mount. no one that I can tell, makes mounts like this for bosch
injectors, besides the bosch injectors used a fuel rail anyway, I really
liked the flexible fuel hose hardware from msd.
the angles of the injectors would preclude a normal fuel rail.

I can't find an msd injector that does 42 lbs per hour. they jump from 34 to
50 lb/hr.
where would I find a gm parts list that rates stock gm injectors by flow
volume/impedance ?

question 2:

or am I digging a hole for myself ? the ecm I have is going to think it's
talking to a specific environment, i.e. stock rail pressure, combined flow
volume etc.

as usual thanks for your expert advice.

Ted

NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information.  Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received. Thank you.