Holley Projection 2D

Gabe gellett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 19:39:52 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> | I would love to do that, and hopefully will be able to in the future, my
> | stepfather has a 454 in a 3/4 ton 4X4 '72 chevy w/Holley analog 4bbl that
> needs
> | the same treatment.  I believe I have seen where there is a place for IAC
> in the
> | Holley TB (I think I remember reading somewhere that it is a Chrysler
> unit?).  I
> | guess I should start gathering info on what all is going to be needed,  I
> think
> | the Holley has 85lb/h injectors.  What would be a good cal to start with?
>
> 454 BBC, 747 prom calibration.  Will take some work to get it, right.  4 at 85
> would feed, what 720 HP, which is ridiculious (for a TBI, again IMHO).  So
> part of the problem with the 4 at 85 idea is like when you run big injecotors
> on any thing, screwy injector durations (IMHO).  Then how much airflow do
> you really need?.

I guess I should have clarified, my uncle has a 383 w/the 2bbl unit with the
85lb/h.

My stepfather has the 4bbl unit with unknown injectors sizes.

> | I was thinking this might be a quick and easy improvement for the short
> haul
> | though...
>
> Ya, but why do things twice?..  Sorry but I'm getting to old to want to
> spend my time doing things over.  In a long run cheaper to do it right (?)
> the first time.

Yes, you're probably right.  Actually, I am going to as my uncle if he would
rather do a TPI setup or modify his TB setup, both options using GMECM's (he
likes the idea of being able to get a replacement ECU at a parts store if one
grenades on a road trip).  I have just been a little gun-shy about working on
someone else's stuff when I have had so much trouble with my own TPI
conversion.  I just had lots of little stuff come up, I guess that's to be
expected when you get an '85 model.  The (I believe to be) bad 85 ECM was most
of my problem, along with partially clogged injectors, bad intake manifold
gasket, MAF troubles, bad connections on the old harness, and a million other
things I am forgetting.

I have converted my setup to a 1227165 and an '89 calibration now and things are
much better.

BTW does anyone have a .ald file for Carbytes for this cal????

> | Do you know off hand how much air a BBC TB will flow???  I guess I could
> as my
> | uncle how big his throttle plates are in the Holley.
>
> The two barrel 2" according to Holley is 670 CFM.
> The 4 barrel holleys as I recall are 1 5/8, or 1 11/16"...
> Grumpy

Good  info so far, Thanks....
Gabe