water/alcohol injection

Charles A. Fair chuck at italymail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:23:17 GMT 2000

My mechanic friend Wiley told me a story about water injection.  He said when he
rebuilt rv motors that used water injection, they had very bad taper on the
cylinders.  He believes the water injection acted like a steam cleaner and removed the
oil film from the cylinder walls...  Water injection use became popular with RV's and
high compression motors when super leaded fell out of use.  My friend believes the
engines suffered more damage than benefit from its use, also HP suffers greatly from
using it, even though high levels of boost can be maintained.  Might be some food for
thought.

He suggested a better substitute for water injection that would not kill power.  This
involves setting the EGR up for use under WOT in some sort of fashion... Maybe I
misunderstood him, but does sound like an idea.  If the EGR valve could be controlled
by the ECU and opened when the knock sensor was set off or by a knock sum.  This might
work as an alternative to water injection without some of the disadvantages, such as
running out of water.  From some of the stories from other posters, guess the water
injection can definitely work though.

Chuck