Non-Cam Valves

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 07:01:29 GMT 2000

At 09:56 30/01/00 EST, ECMnut at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/30/00 9:53:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>nacelp at bright.net writes:
>
>> 7 or 8 secs., am or pm.

>Is this one of those "depends on how close the sun youe are"
>formulas?   <grin>
>Let's turbo the mini !

It is enough too see off the vast majority of cars in the UK. Top end is
about 110mph but that is most due to aerodynamics... It is pretty damb good
for a car that was designed in the 50s!! Best of all unlike the hulking
great things you guys in the states have it goes rounds corners!! :-)

There was a turbo A series engine (fitted to metros and ERA mini turbos
(they only make 600 ERA minis) but the gearbox falls apart with more than
100lb/ft of torque. They controlled the boost, 4 to 7.5psi to give a
constant 85lb/ft of torque. If I had a spare 700ukp lying around I could
make it withstand 125lb/ft of torque... This gives about 1400bhp and will
do 60 in about 5.5 to 6 secs. Unfortunatly an engine built to take this
sort of power would cost 2 or 3 thousand ukp. The other problem is that the
gearbox would be straight cut and bloody noisy!

Sorry for the off topic stuff,

Ade