Aspin engine

Laura & Neil neilaura at accessworldnet.com
Mon Jan 31 16:55:15 GMT 2000

> My two cents worth:
> Aren't we missing something?  If we do away with the camshaft, why not
> do away with the valves as we know them?  How about an Iris?  Or maybe
> some sort of sliding/rotating window?  Would seem to do away with the
> problems of valve inertia when changing direction 180 degrees (up/down).
>  And would reduce the problems with overcoming cylinder pressures?  And
> then we could change port shape to something more useful.  Like maybe
> a crescent moon shape instead of round?  Or many little triangles over
> the whole cylinder diameter, with alternate triangles being intake and
> exhaust?
> Or maybe just one huge port in the head used by both intake and exhaust,
> with redirection of intake and exhaust being done OUTSIDE of the
> combustion chamber?
> Just a few off-the-wall thoughts.  If we're going to re-think things,
> and using the old valve configuration doesn't seem to work, then let's
> throw out the valves, too!
>
> BitWrangler

Check on the web for the Aspin engine.
It used a rotating cone arrangement for a combustion chamber, with a hole cut in the
cone that aligned with first the inlet then the exhaust at half crank RPM. From what
I remember it gave a near perfect stratification to the intake charge with low
emmissions and excellent fuel consumption. Only problem was sealing the cone.

Neil