camless engine

Laura & Neil neilaura at accessworldnet.com
Mon Jan 31 17:09:18 GMT 2000

> Just lettin' Grumpy relax--
>
> You have pretty well defined the hydraulic system necessary to squirt about
> 0.06 grams of diesel fuel into a chamber in each cylinder of the Navistar
> V-8 26 times a second. And--remember, it only has to squirt the diesel in
> one direction.
>
> Now--double the frequency (suspecting that you want to do this on an engine
> that turns more than 3200 rpm). Then, increase the mass that you have to
> move by a factor of at least three thousand (for a 180 gram valve?), and
> last of all, actuate it in both directions. For a little extra fun, realize
> that no impact at the end of the stroke is acceptable. Last of all,
> consider the amount of work Navistar did to develop the injection system!
>
> Be kind of a fun problem, I would think!
>
> Greg
>

> Geez, you outta see me when I get onna roll, that was humor..
> You mentioned using a solenoid for valve action, that means a very specific
> volume of hydralic fluid in a very precise moment,  Maybe Livermore or
> Scandia have something like that, but nothing even close for general use.
> Vast difference, IMHO between fuel and valve actuation.  With fuel (speaking
> of diesels), the opening timing is the critical number, and then guantity
> (yes both closely related, and critical).  But the mechanical pumps you
> mention have been refined for decades.  2000 PSI is also on the lower side,
> the Bosch run at 25-28K..
> Grumpy
>    Hope that was easy enough

Thanks for the break Grumpy.

I was just throwing the powerstroke idea around as a starting point. My thoughts had
no respect for the laws of physics. But how about a solenoid controlled valve to
allow high pressure fluid into a hydraulic ram that opened the valve. A position
sensor on the valve somewhere and an identical set-up to slow the opening and then
close the valve.
Similar to the Ducati desmo gear set up where the camshaft opened and closed the
valves( I have no idea how to spell desdromonic and my spell checker fainted when I
tried)

Neil