DIY_EFI Digest V5 #237

rhuish at goldrush.com rhuish at goldrush.com
Sat Jul 1 15:24:35 GMT 2000

On 1 Jul 2000, at 4:37, Gar wrote:

> There just seems like there's gotta be something valuable, let alone
> attractive for fun's sake, to starting out with some injectors, a
> throttle body, and the worlds most primitive FI controller, and build
> up the layers one by one. First you start with straight-line fueling
> MAP-n say. NO transient enrichments, no TPS-based tip-ins. Do the same
> with IGN/timing. Start with FIXED or manual advance (seriously; it
> used to be that way in the old...really old...days). Measure AFRs out
> the tailpipe to see how much variation you get over rpm & load (you
> knew there was gonna be some reason you had to have an AFR meter,
> didn't ya? :) But most of all, see how it FEELS. Do the same with
> Alpha-n fueling, using just TPS and rpm alone; how many of us have
> ever driven an n-alpha fuel-injected vehicle and know how they feel to
> drive? Let alone watched what the mixture was doing (wow).

Sheesh, I thought my Holley Projection was "state of the art", now
you tell me it's a dinosaur. (TPS & rpm only)    ;-)

Has anyone taken a peek at it's internals? With only four external
adjustment, three if you discount "choke", might be a good kick off
point for KISS.

The 57 Vette FI was purely mechanical if I remember correctly, as
was the Merc 300slr ... yes I know they were totally different
(throttle body vrs direct), but my point was "non-electronic"
production FI systems. Never had a chance to work on the Bendix
system, but understand it too was mechanical.

Considering the times, the lack of high power devices, (transistors
were germanium (sp)), cpu's as a device were non-existent, EFI
was only a dream.

CudaBob '65 - Angels Camp, Calif
CudaBob at workmail.com
http://www.goldrush.com/~rhuish/