KISS EFI

K.E. Towle karljiml at compuserve.com
Sun Jul 2 13:44:17 GMT 2000

>>>Surprising how much full flaps and gear down will kill the speed under
full
>>power!  Just fly the SOB into the runway under full power. THEN kill it.
>>Why bother to rotate the schnozola?
>>
>>At least this way, you will get multiple tries at the strip!
>
>In most GA or XA airplanes, even w/full flaps, if you have full power on
>at approach speed you'd be CLIMBING, not landing. I ain't no jet jockey,
>let alone a carrier crazy.

NEVER said the approach speed wasn't just a TAD higher for that type of
landing!

<
I'm going crazy. To fly an approach with full power, and however much drag
one could deploy, would require a long, flat, drug in final. That is NOT a
comfortable position to be in on any single engine landing, but if you were
in that position because of an engine/ecu problem, that would cause anxiety
of the worst kind.

When I learned to fly, we pulled the power on downwind, abeam the numbers,
and made the runway with only a short clearing shot or two of power to make
sure the carb didn't ice up. If the engine quit during the base turn/on
final, we landed the airplane first, and if there was time, we looked for
the cause of the engine failure. If there wasn't time, you landed with no
power, and asked your questions after you coasted to a stop on the runway.
But, with the way I'm seeing GA approaches and landings executed these
days, with power on, long, low, drug-in finals, if power to the fan is
interrupted, the airframe is going to be in somebody's back yard, or
wherever, but certainly NOT safely on the runway.

Just my thoughts after a year or two of flying.

Karl