KISS EFI

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Sun Jul 2 14:01:30 GMT 2000

>When I learned to fly, we pulled the power on downwind, abeam the numbers,
>and made the runway with only a short clearing shot or two of power to make
>sure the carb didn't ice up. If the engine quit during the base turn/on
>final, we landed the airplane first, and if there was time, we looked for
>the cause of the engine failure. If there wasn't time, you landed with no
>power, and asked your questions after you coasted to a stop on the runway.
>But, with the way I'm seeing GA approaches and landings executed these
>days, with power on, long, low, drug-in finals, if power to the fan is
>interrupted, the airframe is going to be in somebody's back yard, or
>wherever, but certainly NOT safely on the runway.
>
>Just my thoughts after a year or two of flying.

The point of the way carrier crazies do it is that if they miss all the
wires, they are still airborne and under power, and don't splash after the
deck is gone. Speed is not an issue, the tailhook and wire stops them, the
airframe is built to take it.

Not suggesting landing this way every time (on dry land) if you have a
choice, but given a choice between a dead stick and a full power landing, I
would go for full power. That was the only p;oint.

Greg