fuel cooling intake air

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jul 8 00:36:23 GMT 2000

> Grumpy,
> Won't the evaporation of the fuel cool the charge
> where ever the fuel is added?

Yes

 That is, if the fuel is
> added before the intercooler then the fuel will
> evaporate more quickly, and there will still be the
> same amount of cooling.

Yep, es actly

> However, if you add fuel before the intercooler then
> the mix is more dense while traveling through the
> intercooler.

Yep.  The greatest difference in temp from ambient is just post charger.

  What will that do to the the cooling
> efficiency of the intercooler?

Lessen it.   But, I can take a ton of heat out of things thru vaporization.

 My knee jerk reaction
> is that since the charge is more dense the volume will
> be decreased and the charge will travel more slowly.

I'm not really worried about any condensed fuel, I'm adding just enough for
best vaporization at that point.

> The slower charge will have more time in contact with
> the walls and the efficiency will increase.

You'd be hard pressed to even measure that.  On a typical engine, ie V-8 at
5.5K rpm the air time in the intake tract is like 5-7 msec.  I figure with
I/C will be like 40 msec., not very long.

 Note that
> the change in exchange efficiency is a non-linear
> curve that is almost flat at high velocity.

Never knew that, thanks
Grumpy