Measuring CO

Jens Knickmeyer knickm at gmx.net
Sun Jul 9 18:01:07 GMT 2000

Hi all,

this week a friend of mine bought an old CO tester. The CO sensor
of that tester consists of two wires, in a way it looks like there are
two bulbs without glass: the exhaust gas flows through the sensor.
The first wire is heated with a constant current, the second wire
is used to measure some current or voltage.

My questions: Does anyone know this method? How does it work, and
how good is it? Here in Germany, testers to do emissions tests with have
to use infrared absorbing measurement, so I wonder about the accuracy
of other methods. Can anybody tell me if building a CO tester working
according to the method mentioned above is worth the money and time?

Thanks in advance,

Jens