Water injection (was: Re: fuel cooling intake air)

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Sun Jul 9 18:46:53 GMT 2000

> > > Yes, indeed. On a Group A rally engine.
> >
> What were the WI operating pressure?
> Orfice size (and number of)?.
> Ratio of water to fuel?
> Grumpy

Four bars above manifold pressure using a pressure regulator, four 0.4mm
nozzles, water flow modulated by a high speed valve in PWM at 100hz, duty
proportional to manifold pressure and engine speed, controlled from a 2D map
in the ECU. All the work was done on an engine dyno. This is as much as I
want to disclose here.

That said, this game is not going to lead you nowhere. Turning back
questions will not make your point.

However, I still stand firmly behind what I said: if you let the water
evaporate before it enters the engine, you displace oxygen, and no matter
how little, this is a bad thing. Also, water do nothing more than prevent
detonation, just turning on the water jets does strictly nothing to your
torque output. You can however use more spark advance if required, or more
boost, and from that comes the gain. If cool air is what you want, you must
increase the efficiency of the intercooler, spraying water on it being a
popular option.

Axel