Water injection (was: Re: fuel cooling intake air)

Seth sethea at mediaone.net
Mon Jul 10 00:03:35 GMT 2000

Bruce

I have been watching this thread. I was wondering if you might be a bit
more specific about your application. I have a feeling that the needs of
a spark ignition engine at high rpm might be different from a highly
boosted diesel. I am wondering if at full boost you manage a
stoichiometric air fuel ratio (or fuel rich?) with the diesel, or are
you still very fuel lean as most normal diesels are. And do you have
control of injection timing with respect to manifold pressure?

 I suspect that cooler combustion temps might be a good thing with a
diesel if it it still fuel lean of stoich, so that you aren't combusting
piston tops as well as diesel fuel. In a mixture that has very little
extra oxygen, such as a spark ignition engine, then the displacement of
oxygen is not such a good thing for making power, as a rule of thumb.
The point of the turbo was to get more oxygen in the engine in the first
place, after all. If you are very fuel lean and oxygen rich, then
perhaps this displacement of oxygen is not such a penalty as in a spark
ignition engine. But one could argue that it serves a similar function
as EGR at that point, by reducing peak combustion temperatures. Which
brings us back to why bother trying to force the air in the engine if
you only want to displace it with an inert gas or water vapor.

 I might also say that the point of spraying the water at the
intercooler probably winds up producing water vapor, not puddles, if
done correctly. The commercially available systems I have seen try to
evaporate the water in the air just ahead of the intercooler. Whatever
is left probably boils off. Not saying that others aren't different,
just what I have have seen.

-Seth