[ISTA] Does water injection really work?

Jim Sloan leroy at sunflower.com
Wed Jul 12 16:04:27 GMT 2000

> I don't own an aquamist (nor will it).  But, I've worked with WI (water
> injection) alot.
> Just adding WI to a properly tuned engine generates only a slight increase
> on performance.
> If you retune the engine with WI, then there are huge gains to be made.
> If you can get a copy of Mr Harris's posting from the GMECM list from a
few
> days ago, he goes into great detail about the actual chemistry of what
> happens, and it's very interesting.  Also, if you get a copy of Sir Harry
> Ricardo's "High Speed Engine Design), it explains it in less technical
> terms, and Heywoods Book also goes into it.  I haven't read Corky Bells
book
> Max Boost but I'd venture it's in there also.

Corky Bell doesn't like water injection.  I believe part of his reasoning is
that it should not take the place of a properly designed intercooler.

>   There are also different characteristics of injecting water,
atomization,
> vs vaporization, and detonation supression vs intake charge cooling.

I am planning on getting a windshield washer reservoir for water injection.
Some reservoirs have a "low fluid" warning light.  Does anyone have an idea
on using the low fluid signal to switch to an alternate "stock-like" ecm
calibration.   Possibly one of the ecm's inputs could be used.

I'm also wondering about Russ's question about injecting hydrogen peroxide.
Maybe Mr. Harris could comment on that?

Thanks.

Jim Sloan
leroy at sunflower.com