Motorcycle

Jeff Webb mustang at ufl.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:35:51 GMT 2000

"GIJSEN Mark (BMB)" wrote:

> Has anybody got any experience with fitting an EFI to a motorcycle?

Yes.  We run EFI on a 600 cc Honda F3 engine for the Formula SAE
competition.  I think there are others on this list who have done this
as well.  What motor are you running?

> I want to change the carbs on my Honda V4 with an EFI, don't care wether
> it's based on an ECU or a 555 :)
> The only thing I don't want is to buy an expensive aftermarket unit, has to
> be DIY.

In the past, we've run a Haltech (68hc11 based, batch fire, fuel only)
and a Motec (68332 based, sequential, spark, etc).  We had to add a cam
position sensor to get sequential injection.  This year we're building a
custom DIY system that will be more flexible and expandable.

> Would EFI332 be suitable for this(up to 12,000RPM)?

Yep.  The 68332 is one of the best processors available for this
application because of it's dedicated time processor unit (TPU).  This
unit allows high precision timing without a lot of CPU overhead.

> Is the EFI332 closed
> loop (I don't seem to find a A/F sensor in the schematics)and what's the
> reason if it's not?

I believe there's an A/D channel set aside for "O2" input.  Whatever the
case, you can add circuitry to do what you want.

Best of luck,

Jeff Webb