EFI fuel pump and water.

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 13 11:56:20 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Trouble is not what **I** consider enough pressure.
> At 200 PSI you can get a really fine spray, and I haven't seen an EFI
> capable of that.
> Folks tend to think of water as corrosive, and forget that it's erosive as
> hell
> I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a neat way to do it, here thou

You might want to look at using high-velocity air to shear the water
into a mist. You may be able to bleed some of your turbo-output
(pre-intercooler so you still have a higher pressure) to an
air-nozzle, then use a venturi-suction effect (Bernoulli) to feed in
the water and to cause it to mist.

It should be easy enough to modulate the amount of water by
restricting its flow using a low-pressure valve in the water suction
line. Just keep the bleed air bleeding.

That removes the need to use a high-pressure water pump to achieve
the fine mist. Tricky bit would be to ensure that you have enough
pressure differential between the bled-air and the manifold for it
to work. A secondary-air pump may be useful to ensure a higher
pressure, if it'll cope with the high inlet temperature (I don't
know the characteristics of such pumps to any detail.)

The hotter air would also assist in creating water vapour to reduce
the likelihood of water erosion around critical areas such as
valves.

If you're metering air flow, then you'd need to bleed the air
downstream of the meter.

That's just an idea. It may work. Feel free to jump in and knock the
idea on the head.

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning
Perth, Western Australia